Thursday, June 16, 2005

SharkBoy&LavaGirl and Batman Begins

Sunday afternoon I took Mary-Jo and Alex to see The Adventures of SharkBoy and LavaGirl. It was an early birthday present for Mary-Jo's birthday. She turned 5 on Tuesday, June 14. Both had seen the previews on TV and had been talking about it for 2 weeks before it came out in theaters. Before we entered the theater, though, we stopped at the adjacent Dollar Store (not the everything's a buck kind) to waste 30 minutes before show time. I let them pick out two $1 items with guidance. They got a pack of 2 click-it pens that have red, black, green and blue ink, little pocket notepads (3 for a $1), a star paper puncher (Alex) and purple heart sunglasses (Mary-Jo) and a pack of gum. I got out of the store for under $5 which is quite hard for me to do on most days. They got to take their pens and pads into the theater so that they'd have something to occupy their time while we waited for the lights to dim (about 10 minutes). The were estatic to get Sharkboy and LavaGirl 3-D glasses for movie souveniers. Kurt and Shelby love them, too! They both loved the movie and have played a few tales out on their own since then. It's fun to watch them.

Since Cynthia didn't get to go with us to the movies on Sunday (she went swimming with her friend, Taylor), I decided to take her to Batman Begins with me tonight. I was a little leary about it since all the other Batman movies were sexualized, but I was very pleasantly surprised. There is quite a few fights (I expected that), but only one scene that was a little over the top IMO (Bruce takes two girls out for dinner...the girls climb into the pool--only shoulders and legs from knees down are shown--and Bruce follows a few minutes later fully clothed after buying the hotel). The relationship between Bruce and Rachel is really quite friendly and sweet. She wants to and is willing to wait for "Bruce" until Batman is no longer needed in Gothom. Beware, there are a few really scary moments, I jumped a couple of times. I do want to go see it again, though, because a member at twinstuff (Jxnsmom), a twins board that I visit, twin son played an extra roll that is in the movie. I'm going to make sure I wear a watch so I can catch a glimpse of him at 1 hour 15 minutes in. I agree with most of the reviews that I've read. Batman Begins is in the top 5 for movies that I've seen this year.

1 comment:

Sandi said...

Sounds like wonderful quality time with your children.