Friday, May 27, 2005

Transferring cont.

OLDER KIDS NAMING SIBLINGS
Cynthia named Alex. She was about a month shy of 5 when we told her about the new baby. She picked Alex for a boy and Andra (not Andrea) for a girl.

Alex predicted a boy and a girl for the twins...one for him and one for his little sister, Mary-JO. When I asked him who Cynthia would get, he said that she already had 2, him and Mary-Jo.

DISCIPLINE CRISIS
If you have to go to an extreme maybe you could use the highchairs or a stroller as restraints. You could even bring their carseats inside and strap them down in those until they learn appropriate behavior. You could give them some paper and colors while they are in their chairs so that they have an activity to do while they are strapped in. Maybe after a day of having to sit strapped in, you could try to have them be loose, but doing a quiet activity during BFing time with the baby. If they start to act up, then back to the restraints (highchair, stroller, carseat) they go until they learn self-discipline.

I just read my "after a day of being strapped in" and realized that could mean that they were strapped in there all day which was not what I meant. I meant to say that only strap them in during your nursing sessions. 5 to 10 minutes of restrained quiet time can only help the situation. It will also teach them how to sit and do an activity for 5-15 minutes at a time. It really does not take but maybe 1-3 days for this technique to work.

LICKING, IT'S WHAT TONGUES ARE FOR!
Kurt and Shelby LOVE to play a game with me where they will start to kiss me on the lips. Then all of a sudden, they will stick their tongues out and come at me to lick. They also like to lick my cheek, my nose, my arm, my fingers, etc.

SLEEP POSITIONERS
I used a positioner more so for Shelby because she came home on an apnea monitor and it helped to prevent a slipped sensor which would cause an alert. I found that out on my own, it wasn't something that was told to me by a nurse or doctor. But I did use sleep positioners for both of them for about 6-8 weeks. They seemed to sleep better when they were in confined positions rather than in open spaces.

BTW my sleep positioners were not only the ones that you buy, but I also used the carseat, the swing with rolled reciving blankets to prevent them from slipping, etc.

DEVELOPMENTAL DELAYS?
it's scary to think that there could be something "wrong" with your baby (and they are always your baby no matter if they are newborn or 12 years old or older). My 2 yr old twins were just released from EI shortly before their 2nd birthday. They were in the program because of their prematurity. I know in my case it was a relief to know that Kurt and Shelby were developing within normal ranges. Even though one was consistantly early in the range and one was consistantly late in the range.


No comments: