Thursday, May 19, 2005

Poor Poor Kurt & Sweet 'n Sour Shelby

Kurt had his foreskin pushed back yesterday to remove a build up of a white substance. I'm not really sure what the substance was, though. The procedure took about 8 minutes to do. It wasn't easy on Kurt, it hurt, but he didn't bleed. However, I knew that we were in for a few days of pain & suffering when about 10 minutes later he grabbed himself and started crying in pain. He had a BM diaper before we went to the pedi, but he hasn't had one after the appointment yesterday morning. Which is really unusual for him. So I'm thinking that when he poops he must be leaking some urine, too. I feel so bad for my little man.

Shelby has been so sympathetic for Kurt. She knows he is in pain and loves on him. Today while they were eating lunch, Kurt got that frightened hurt look and started crying again. He ran over to me to be held and loved. Shelby got a bite of food on his fork and brought him 4 or 5 bites to eat, then brought him his drink. However, Shelby has also been quite a little biter to express to Kurt that he's invading her territory as of late. Over the last 2 weeks, Kurt has gotten bitten 1 or 2 times a day. Shelby has never bitten anyone else. Thankfully, Kurt has already learned his lesson about biting. I tried the stern "NO!", separation and ignore the biter/love the bitee for about 2 weeks with him to no avail. So finally after 3 bites on Shelby in sucession, I finally just decided to bite him (not nearly as hard as he had been biting others) so he'd know what it felt like. He never took another bite out of anyone again. Shelby OTOH is taking quite a bit longer to break. I really think it has to do with lack of verbal skills. She communicates to Kurt in the sense of action that she doesn't want him to continue invading her space. For example, she will take her object and turn away from Kurt, but when he persists, she bites to get the message across. I just hope I can break Shelby of the habit before Kurt starts retaliating with bite for bite.

No comments: