Friday, May 27, 2005

My Grandma is turning 90

On Saturday, we are going to my Grandma's house to celebrate her 90th birthday. Sat is not actually her birth day--it's on Wed, June 1--but everyone can get together on Saturday. She has emphatically announce to everyone that she does NOT want any gifts, the presence of our families is plenty gift enough. If I can figure out how to add photos, I will post pictures the weekend sometime. I hope that we are able to get one of the whole clan.

Other news is that today is Cynthia and Al's last day of school. I'm happy that they've successfully completed another year of school and that I will have them all day every day for the next two and a half months. However, I'm also a little overwhelmed that I will have all 5 at home everyday for the next 2 1/2 months, too. It's going to be a long boring summer if Jab and I don't find out what's wrong with the suburban soon. I sure don't want to have to be stuck at home the entire summer! So if any of you readers are prayer warriors, please pray that God will provide a way for us to repair it.

I had really got depressed about how much the kids were destroying the house (see earlier post about downsizing), but since that day, I've been having the kids to do at least 30 minutes of cleaning everyday. They have to pick up their room, return toys to the bedrooms, pick up papers (color sheets), clean off the table & chairs and wash dishes everyday. Cynthia, Al and Mary-Jo complain about it, but they do grudgingly do the labor. Kurt and Shelby, otoh, delight in throwing papers in the garbage, bringing their toys to their room and most especially wiping the table with the clorox wipes. The best part is that we all do it together. I'm not so unhappy everyday because for a short period of time everyday, the house is clean even if my clean standard is relaxed. I just hope and pray that one day soon that Cynthia, Al and Mary-Jo will be at a minimum half as joyful in their duties as Kurt and Shelby are to help Mama clean. So for all you parents out there, learn from my mistake--start early in teaching your children to help out around the house. As soon as they are crawling or walking teach them to put away the toys and throw pampers & paper in the trash. Have them put laundry in the washer, switch clothes over to the dryer and unload it and fold towels and washcloths. They really think it is fun when they are little and they especially enjoy spending time with you and pleasing you and getting praise for a job done. (Oh, and btw, please remind me of this little fact often! I don't want to forget it!)

No comments: