Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Homeschooling Alex

Today has been a real rollercoaster of emotions for me again, but it has also been a day where God has answered prayer and revealed answers and opened a path as well as provided a clear choice.

As I waited in the schoolboard office waiting area to meet with the Assistant Superintendent, I prayed and asked that God would soften all of our hearts (Jab's, mine & school officials) and I asked for God to reveal His plan how on how He wanted us to help Alex.

We met with the Assistant Superintendent of Schools and the Elementary Director of Education. Both seemed to want to help Alex, but they still wanted the release of specific medical diagnosis. After an hour of debate and discussion, they did concede to a generic diagnosis along with specific instructions of how to assist Alex.

However, I did not come away from the meeting as if this was the course of action that God wanted us to take. While we were waiting outside for my SIL to come pick us up (our suburban broke down on our way into town ), Jaba and I started discussing what questioning what would be best for Alex. I think it was Jaba that mentioned short-term homeschooling. We discussed how even with the twins at home, it could give Alex time for much one-on-one supervised care, not only in the medical aspect of it, but also give his school mates time to release associations of soiling with Alex. He has had to endure much teasing AND has not been able to make any close friendships with any of the kids in his class.

When Jaba mentioned homeschooling, a sense of peace-not a full sense, but a small part of relieving, entered my heart. It was not until later at the doctor's office, that God fully revealed His plan. I went into see Al's pediatrician to get the letter that was agreed upon. However, after about a short 10 minute discussion with the Pedi about the specifics of what the school board needed in a letter, then discussing Alex's hardship with his peers, he asked me what kind of education I had. I told him some college, then he asked me if I felt that I could adequately homeschool Alex. (The doctor brought it up, I didn't.) At that moment, I knew that God was revealing that this was the course of action that we needed to take. I was fully at peace.

The note that the Pedi wrote reads as follows:
[Alex] has a severe medical problem with his intestines. He cannot function in a school room setting, but would benefit from home schooling, at least in the immediate future.


Now, I know that homeschooling is not something that can just be done on a whim. It is also not a cheap endeavor, but Mama had already opened that door yesterday. I know that homeschooling will be challenging. But I also know that God has given me wonderful friends who will be able to guide me and encourage me if or when I get discouraged or frustrated.

God is Good.

Thank you Father, for this whole process of revealing to us your plan for Jab and I to parent Alex more fully. You keep teaching me that when I say "I can't" or that "I don't feel that I can do an adequate job" that your will is greater and that through You, I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Father, continue to direct me in your path, keep throwing up those big direction signs so that I can follow you more fully. I ask all of this in the name of your Son, Jesus. Amen.

1 comment:

Christina said...

I am encountering the opposite problem... because of my child's special needs I am being told I cannot homeschool him... it breaks my heart.